Monday, April 8, 2013

HANDMADE GIFT IDEA #16


 Sometimes grandparents can be the hardest to find gifts for.  They have already acquired so many "things," and frequently are trying to purge the stuff they have.  We started using the idea of making a photo collage several years ago, and have used it a couple times since - after all, one thing ALL grandparents need is cute pictures of their grand-kids to show off!  If you have access to a program like Adobe Photoshop, you can really make a custom collage.  But almost every photo printing service (like Costco and Shutterfly) has options to create your own collage.

Along with pictures, we love to include a meaningful quote or saying.  When my brother was serving a church mission in Canada, I made a collage for him with pictures of our little guy dressed up like a missionary and doing things like reading scriptures and praying, with the words "I want to be a missionary just like my Uncle Shane."  It was his favorite gift that year, and I ended up printing out 3 more copies for other people who wanted them (including, of course, my parents). 

I've given these with and without frames - but if you want to give it with a frame, I'll let you in on a little secret.  I NEVER buy frames new.  Ever.  Go into any thrift store, anywhere, and you can  find piles and piles of frames for super cheap.  A quick sanding and a couple coats of paint and they look great!

Approximate time to put together*: 2-3 hours  
Approximate cost for supplies*: $5 for an 8x10 (including a thrift store frame)
*Please remember that these are just approximations. CopyCrafts makes no guarantee of their accuracy.



No comments:

Post a Comment